Starting and sticking to any diet is no simple task. Diets are often viewed in a negative light; they are much too difficult and unrealistic to bring about any weight loss. Most diets require a complete lifestyle change. You may often find yourself starving throughout the day, and staring at your co-workers container of takeout while begrudgingly eating your bowl of leaves. If this description sounds familiar, then worry no more. All you need to do is give the Ketogenic diet a try. This diet is a very low-carb, high fat diet, that is just perfect for those who love food, but are also striving to lose a couple pounds. The Healthline.com blog defines it as a diet that lowers blood sugar and insulin levels, and shifts the body’s metabolism away from carbs and towards fat and ketones. Essentially, you can lose three times the normal amount of weight while still enjoying a lot of your favorite foods. Avocado, steak, bacon, and even all your favorite cheeses. There's absolutely no need to stick to salad and veggies every meal. Best of all, I have a couple amazing recipes and ideas to share with you that will completely change the way you think of a standard diet!
Let’s begin with a couple of delectable recipes that will bring you some much needed excitement about starting your ketogenic diet journey. As of recently, I have been enjoying this recipe for Baked Avocado Eggs and I am just mesmerized by how easy to make and delicious these avocado eggs are. This recipe is the perfect ketogenic meal; very high in fats and proteins, and just a few carbs. All you need are a few highly nutritious ingredients and a dash of love. Here we go!
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F degrees fahrenheit. Slice two (2) large, ready to eat avocados in half and remove their pits. You can do this easily using a soup spoon, but do not apply pressure on the outside of your avocado so the skin remains sturdy enough to stay in shape while in the oven.
- Next, place the avocado halves on a baking sheet and scoop out some of the flesh to make a bigger hole with more space for your egg.
- Crack one small, or medium sized, egg into the hole of each of your avocado slices. Season with salt and pepper. If you are a fan of spicy foods, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper on top too.
- For the final touch, top with any ketogenic diet friendly toppings of your choice. A few of my favorites include, bacon crumbles, parmesan cheese crisps, sesame seeds, or even some sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Bake in your oven for 15 minutes, or until yolk reaches desired consistency. Sprinkle with fresh herbs like chives and basil, as desired. If you notice that your avocado slices begin leaning to sides you can move them onto the back of a muffin pan. The ridges in between each muffin hole will give your avocado the support it needs to bake in the right shape.
This scrumptious avocado dish is perfect for keto meal prepping. They are the perfect serving size for quick lunch at work, or between classes at school. In total, you are only losing about 7g of carb, but you are gaining 21g of fat and 13g of protein per serving. This recipe is absolutely ketogenic diet friendly, and packed with flavor and nutrients.
My next recipe is an amazing discovery from the Tasty website and food blog. This hidden gem only requires two (2) ketogenic diet friendly ingredients; 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and an egg yolk from a large egg. Absolutely finger-licking good, and the perfect side to any portion of protein.
- Start by adding your cup of mozzarella to a bowl and microwave for about 1-2 minutes, or until melted thoroughly. Allow your melted mozzarella to cool for no more than 30 seconds.
- Next, take a spatula and gently fold your egg yolk into the cheese until both ingredients are mixed perfectly together.
- Turn the mixture of yolk and cheese out onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and press down with your hand until thin. You can even lightly roll using a pastry roller.
- Before this next step, I recommend placing the dough into the freezer for 5-10 minutes, or until firm. After the recommended time has passed, remove the top piece of parchment and cut the dough into thin strips that should resemble handmade pasta noodles. Then, place the “pasta” back on a baking sheet and refrigerate for four hours, or overnight.
- Prior to pulling out your “pasta'' make sure you have a pan of boiling water ready to go. Gently place your “pasta” in the water and boil for 1-2 minutes. Drain into a colander and run cool water over the pasta to prevent noodles from sticking.
- Serve with your favorite low-carb tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella, and basil.
This scrumptious low-carb pasta is every keto dieters dream. You can tell all your family and friends that you are making handmade pasta with the evil carbs. This keto friendly pasta is the perfect celebratory dinner meal. Pair with a well-seasoned, parmesan coated chicken breast and you have a noteworthy entree that will impress anyone.
The best keto meal idea I have encountered in all my time researching the ketogenic diet is PBH goodies as your after-dinner keto dessert, or even a keto snack. PBH Foods has so many delicious flavors of keto friendly cookies and keto friendly donuts. From Keto donuts to Keto Fudge Cookies, I know you will be able to find your favorite PBH Foods keto friendly treat, or keto breakfast snack. You can serve with all types of tasty toppings and sauces. That way you will surely have a keto dessert, or keto snack, available at all times. I love to serve my selection of keto donuts and keto cookies with keto friendly icing, melted keto chocolate (for dipping!) and keto ice cream. You can warm up your keto friendly PBH goodies in the oven and serve a la mode!
These ketogenic meal ideas will make dieting a breeze, and allow you to shed a bunch of pounds quicker than you would ever expect. Pair with your PBH goodies and your ketogenic diet journey will prove to be the perfect solution to your boring-diet struggles! Diet who?